Post-Op Day 4

Dec. 3, 2016 10:20 p.m.

I had all the intentions to get up this morning and run before work. Unfortunately, much like Wednesday, my body just wasn’t having it. I decided to shut myself down and live to run another day especially since I would have a crazy day of work.

Ryan had another busy day Saturday. For the better part of two hours along with his brothers, Ryan was up on his feet helping sell candy bars at a store for his Trail Life group.

Later in the afternoon, from what I was told, he was on his feet a lot as my oldest son, Andrew, hosted a party with some of his friends from his youth group.

Ryan’s really adjusted to wearing the surgical shoe. He’s still carrying Sarah the Dolphin everywhere he goes, but he’s not holding his arms out to his sides anymore to try and balance himself.



Ryan walking into his bedroom after watching the Nutcracker. Yes, he’s got some clothes to put away.


We watched “The Nutcracker” tonight. One of the many times we will watch Tchaikovsky’s classic this month. Seems like the one performed by the Jacobs School of Music at Indiana University is the first one we watch every year.

I absolutely love “The Nutcracker.” My first memory of watching it was at my Uncle Bill and Aunt Lee’s house and actually I think it was about this time when we were down there to celebrate my cousin Amy’s birthday. Speaking of which – that’s tomorrow.

During my undergrad years at Butler, I always went to see the Friday night performance. It was a great way to have a study break as finals were fast approaching. I took Wendy several times, but I don’t think I have seen it in person since Andrew was born. Now with my schedule being as such it is almost impossible to see it in person, which is why I am thankful for the streaming from IU and also the upcoming “Battle of the Nutcrackers” on the Ovation Channel.



Watching the end of The Nutcracker. Last night we streamed the production presented by the IU Jacobs School of Music.


Anyway, Ryan and Micah were mesmerized as we watched it tonight. I can only hope they can learn to appreciate it as much as I have all these years.

I could tell Ryan was tired because as soon as the encores were over, he immediately got up and headed for the stairs and his bed.

I quickly followed just to make sure he didn’t have any trouble. Going up the stairs, he did stumble a little, but I think that’s because he was trying to avoid the socks on the stairs that Andrew left.

As I helped him to bed tonight,  I joked with Ryan and said, “Hey, it seems like you’re getting around really well with that shoe. Why don’t you get up and run with me in the morning?”

“Yeah, right.”



One thought on “Post-Op Day 4

  1. Very encouraging to see that he’s getting used to the shoe. Sounds like he’s handling this pretty well!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s