Post-op Day 1

Nov. 30, 2016 10:38 p.m.

All the boys, except Andrew, saved their screen time today to watch “Survivor.”

It is appointment TV for them. Micah even says they should hire him to be an after-show analyst. The discussion the three of them along with Wendy have after the show is worth the entertainment.

Someday, I will have to record it.

Ryan has taken the “Be Brave. Be Strong” mantra to the extreme.

He says he isn’t in pain. Thus, he hasn’t taken any pain medication. His limp is a little more noticeable than yesterday when he gets up to go the bathroom.

We constantly ask and the response always is, “No. I’m fine.”

Why should we think any different? He never complained about being in pain of any sort prior to the surgery.

Today was the last day where he was supposed to only stay on the couch and get up only to use the bathroom. Tomorrow, he is supposed to get and walk around for about 15 minutes at a time.

We have done as instructed and kept an ice pack on his ankle as much as possible.

One thing I failed to mention in my journal entry yesterday was Dr. Tentler took sent the subungual osteochondroma along with the extra cartilage he removed from Ryan’s big toe to the pathologist.

Dr. Tentler mentioned it on several occasions in the office visits and in the case studies I read leading up to the surgery, osteochondromas are 99.9 percent benign.

“They are never malignant or pre-malignant,” he said. “But still I need to send them to the pathologist to make sure he agrees and I am correct.”

Ryan was up this morning and had a bowl of cereal. Another thing I failed to mention was he didn’t waste any time yesterday afternoon and was back doing his school work. That continued this morning after breakfast.

After devouring his cereal, Ryan instantly went to doing his school work. He still pauses a lot when he reads aloud, but he doesn’t ask for help on words as much as he once did.

Ryan’s using the cowbell to its fullest extent. I was almost out the door to go to work when I heard him ring it. Wendy came into the room to see what he needed.

“My iPod, please?” Ryan asked as he held it up. We have an app that controls when the boys can use their devises.

“Uh, no,” Wendy replied. “You still have two subjects to finish.”

We all had a good laugh about it.

Got home from work this evening, Ryan was playing with the “Slug Bug” and Mustang I got him. I didn’t realize the doors opened on them.

“Yeah, and if you pull them back they go on their own,” he said smiling from ear-to-ear.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s