I Wanted a Healthy Foot for Christmas

I am nervous about tomorrow and going to see a sports medicine doctor about my foot. I have been so busy at work this month this was the only real chance I had of getting an appointment. The swelling in my foot has not gone down since my wife first noticed it back at the beginning of the month. I don’t have as much pain as I did. I can still feel it “pull” and sometimes I have that burning sensation I wrote about in my last post.

I have never really been seriously injured. When I hurt my foot in that game in 1988 I mentioned in my last post it really wasn’t that big of a deal. I got it taped for a week and then I was fine. My worst injury was when I sprained my ankle at the Taylor basketball camp in ’85 that was because I pretty much sat and watched and listened for two days prior to getting back on the court to finish the camp. In 2006 I developed a “Baker’s Cyst” in my left leg – which was not brought up by the doctor who examined me – I found it on the results of my MRI as I was checking out. That’s when I knew I had to get back into shape. Since then I have lost 50 pounds and am back into size 32 pants.

I haven’t ran since Nov. 30 when the pain in my foot intensified. I have swam three times at the IUPUI Natatorium. If it hadn’t been for those swims I probably would have went mental at work – especially last week as it was our busiest week of the year. It really relaxed me and got me ready to handle the chaos of those days.

I have continued to research on my own while also talking to my athletic training friend. Unfortunately I think the injury has developed into a stress fracture. Being on my feet at work all day definitely did not help the healing process. I have iced for 10 minutes every hour after work and have taken Advil like it’s M&Ms at times.

Regardless of what happens tomorrow I will make a stop to my old home away from home – Hinkle Fieldhouse. Will probably go and say hello to my former boss, Jim McGrath, and also update my picture of Hinkle with the new Big East logos in the foul lane. During my undergrad years at Butler Hinkle Fieldhouse was my escape palace much like this blog is now. Even after I graduated if I needed to get away from reality I would get in my car and drive up there and go to the section where I studied. Tomorrow I will probably do that again after leaving the doctor’s office.

I am going in tomorrow fearing the worst possible outcome – been awhile since I didn’t go into something with a positive attitude. I hope when I sit down to type the results tomorrow night we are still talking about a severe strain and nothing more.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s